Monday, September 2, 2013

Another Short 1..

Mamma was visiting Grandmamma, who had her hand around her, still strong and young.  I went up to them and said, "Here's some berries."  I was thanked and sent away, mamma pat the side of my leg swiftly and so off I went.

I went to play with Curty and her 2 friends over, who were 4 and 5.  I had to come and help with the gardening and then the vegetables and milking.  By the time I was done I was so tired and Mamma carried me inside.  I went over with Susan and Mikhail, and we ate sugar shapes.  Mikhail was telling Susan of how nice school was, for she had not been in years.  She was to go back.  School would not start until another week.

So, the next day, we went to a fair.  There was a witch at a table which scared me, so I wandered off.  Little Curty had to stay with Susan or Mamma and Pappa or Grandmamma who lived in town now.  Grandpappa was off doing business.

I saw the ferriswheel, and it made me dizzy.  So, I almost passed out but moved along.  It would be my birthday soon enough, and I'd be then 9 years old.

I played some games and won some prizes.  I couldn't wait until we went back to the woods of Minnesota because I'd have a room all to myself.

My favorite prize was a yellow teddy bear.

Then, it was time to start packing.  We sold our home and had 8 horses lug our belongings and ourselves.

We got there.  We even had a pool built in.  I tugged my bonnet and kicked the gorund with my foot.  We all unpacked, and I put Curty in her room, which was not really as big as mine but almost.  She had a little desk with some books to learn to read sentences.  She had just turned 4.

I did a lot of work, some doing crops, doing the animals, cleaning and mending.  I stopped with an hour and a half left in which I played on my harp.  We were deep in the woods and would have to make due.  Lotta people had moved.  It was so much fun taking care of Curty while Mamma was busy, too.  She had a job of some sort, on top of what we do at home.

I brushed Curty's hair and pushed her on the swing, her curly gold head bobbing and blue eyes sparkling.  She was ready for school and would have to pick at least 1 activity to keep up.  My activity was harp and singing.  Hers would probably be singing and dancing.  I was also happy for the others going to school.  Jammes also was adamant and Jamilee.  I went outside again to run and play with them.  It was time to go in Pappa said and we all sat around the table and we ate heartily.